Luxor Forums - White Hat & Community Forums
Help installing Linux?
I am thinking of taking the leap and installing Linux on my PC. I have a second hard drive and was thinking of installing it to that, but when I started to look into how to do this, it doesn't look like it will be that simple. Something about Linux only reading partitions, rather than C;// or D:// etc.

If anyone here has installed Linux in the way I hope to, please give me some hints on how this can be done.

I was thinking of downloading the installation file and then either installing from a bootable USB, or installing from one drive to another. I want it so that i can boot from either C or D, with Windows on C.

Thanks in advance.
Install Linux on the 2nd hard drive. You can have Linux make a dual boot setup.

One for Windows and one for Linux.

Don't get all caught up in the partitioning lingo... just put Linux on the 2nd hard drive... use the WHOLE drive.
Leave the 1st drive strictly for Windows.

You should be all set.

I'd recommend either Ubuntu or Linux Mint.

Go with Ubuntu first... if you're not crazy about it... you can re-do with Linux Mint.

Keep in mind... Linux is not 100% user friendly... sure it's better than it's used to be, but still... learning some of the basic things about Linux takes time.
If you don't have the time nor the patience, then, you will end up not liking Linux.

Hack Rally's other admin, @root is a Linux guy. He can help you more than I can.

[Image: xwXpx1Z.png]
If you're just planning on installing Linux for learning/experience I would recommend you install it on a VM first. That way if you don't like it you can easily delete it & you won't be stuck with a Linux OS on your hard drive.

Basically what a VM does is allow you to run another OS inside your current OS, that way you don't have to fully commit to installing an OS to your drive. 
[Image: zP6yOPq.png]
(Example of my Kali Linux VM running on my windows OS)

VMware Workstation is the VM I use, it's very simple to use. Lots of tutorials on YouTube if you get stuck, or you can ask us here!
Most Linux distributions install the same aside from Arch Linux or Gentoo which the latter requires you to compile during the installation process (the rest of the Gentoo installation just resembles the Arch Linux installation process in my eyes).

You can also gauge how Linux would treat your hardware setup by putting an ISO of Linux onto a flashdrive using any one of these tools:
  • Rufus
  • UNetBootin
  • YUMI
  • DD for Windows
  • Win32DiskImager (which pretty much functions as a GUI frontend for DD on Windows from what I can guess)

Then you can reboot your computer and select the option to "Try Linux" or to use a "LiveCD" option.

If you have the RAM to spare (8GB or more) then you could opt to put the LiveCD contents into RAM (I know this is an option on ParrotOS but I don't have a full list of distributions that have that option available (although you could easily put that option there by modifying one of the boot entries)) which would be faster at loading programs and doesn't require you to have the flashdrive in the USB port since everything is offloaded into RAM (although the LiveCD will report back less RAM than what you actually have since a large chunk is going to be reserving the LiveCD data).

In fact I would also go with the Virtual Machine route that @root mentioned since it's more accessible and can be manipulated without too much risk to the host system (unless you enable guest to host clipboard and storage)